Top programming languages
The following is the list of top 10 programming languages in ascending order based on their usage in 2014.
- C programming - A procedural oriented general purpose language, developed by Dennis Ritchie between 1969 and 1973 at AT&T Bell Labs.
- Java programming - A concurrent object oriented programming language that is highly portable across multiple platforms. It was developed by James Gosling at Sun Microsystem.
- Objective-C - A general purpose, object oriented programming language that adds Smalltalk style messaging to C programming. It was initially developed for NeXTSTEP operating system. Now it is used by apple for both Mac OSX and iOS operating system and their application development.
- C++ - An object oriented programming language that has imperative and generic programming features. It was developed by Bjarne Stroustrup.
- C# - An object oriented, multi-paradigm, generic and concurrent programming language developed by microsoft.
- Visual Basic - An object oriented and event driven programming language developed by microsoft. It was developed from BASIC programming language with addition of graphical user interface (GUI).
- PHP - An object oriented server side scripting language designed for web development.
- Python - An object oriented general purpose scripting language developed by Python Software Foundation.
- Visual Basic.NET - An objected oriented programming language implemented using the .NET framework by microsoft.