Flowchart refers to the graphical representation of an algorithm which provides the solution for a problem. It is used in various processes of software development including analyzing, designing, documenting and managing phases.
Example flowchart for factorial
A flowchart for factorial algorithm is shown below.
Various components/symbols in flowchart
- Terminator - Acts as begin and end point of processes.
- Process - Acts as begin and end point of processes.
- Decision - Checks for a condition and decides where to branch.
- Data input- Indicates input or output operations.
- Delay - Waiting for a certain period of time.
- Predefined Process- refers to a subprocess that is formally defined.
- A document or report
- Multiple documents
- Manual input
- Connector - jump from one point to another
- Callout - used to add comments
- Flow line - shows flow of events