Swift Programming Language
Apple has been evolving iOS/ Mac programming day by day and the latest addition is an all new programming language, Swift. There has been a mixed bag of reactions on the new language with some Objective-C lovers wishing to stay away from swift and others find it prospective for the future. As we all know, iOS/Mac programmers have to shift to swift one day or the other.
Pros using Swift
- Better memory management and type safety.
- Multiple return values with tuples.
- Better performance.
- Mix and match approach helps to retain and use existing Objective -C code.
- Easier to learn swift for programmers in other languages.
Cons using Swift
- Difficult to convert existing projects completely to swift.
- Existing developers need to spend extra time creating projects using swift.
- No clear information on when Objective-C support will be dropped.
- Arrays are type dependent unlike NSArray that can add any type of objects.
In this section of our website, we try to provide a great start point for learning swift step by step with lots of code samples. Most of the pages will have a note for the Objective-C developers to help them make a easier transition to Swift programming language. New programmers who don’t have knowledge of Objective – C can ignore these notes. Enjoy learning!!!